What is the purpose of the Council?
- The job of the Council makes sure the Community Living Ontario Board of Directors know about the needs and wishes of people who have an intellectual disability.
- The Council provides information about the rights and abuse of people who have an intellectual disability to; other people who have an intellectual disability , families and service providers across the province.
Who can be on the Council?
In order to be considered for the Council you must:
- have an intellectual disability
- be 18 years or older
- be from one of Community Living Ontario's regional areas
- be a member of a local Community Living Association that is a member of Community Living Ontario
- be elected to represent your region
- know your rights
- speak up for yourself and others
- try to change things that will improve lives
Responsibilities of the Council:
- provide information to Community Living Ontario's Board of Directors on policies and issues that affect people who have an intellectual disability.
- make sure that Community Living Ontario actively involves council members in every decision that affects their lives.
- set-up work groups which look at specific issues about the rights, needs and interests of peole with an intellectual disability.
- encourage Community Living Ontario to have the active participation of council members when they meet with government and other groups.
- prepare reports for the Board of Directors and the membership
About Council elections
To be on the Council you must be elected to represent your region. Each region of the province hosts Regional Meetings in the spring. At these meetings interested individuals from each Community Living Ontario member Association are welcome to attend and be nominated as the Regional Representative. Usually you will have an opportunity to introduce yourself at this meeting and give a brief speech. Then other members at the meeting will vote on the person who will join the Council and represent them for the next two years.
Members of the Council
Melissa Abrams (West 2)
Mark Anderson (Southwest)
Brandon Bain (Vice Chair/ Sunset Region)
Stella Curtis (Algonquin)
Kevin Ford (North 3)
Craig Harrison (West 3)
Lynn Ingram (North 4)
Nikki Jones (Central Durham)
Peter Maresse (Treasurer, Central-Toronto)
Ronda Orr (Lakeshore)
Jordan Pretchuck (North 2)
Claude Sauve (Les Vallees)
Yvonne Spicer (Chair/ Central West)
Jackie Watts (Secretary/ Central York)
For more information or to contact a council member, please send an email to jmacIntyre [at] communitylivingontario [dot] ca (Joel MacIntyre), Staff Support with a note indicating to whom the email should be directed.
For information about the next Regional Meeting in your area, contact the Executive Director of your Local Community Living Association.
For more information please contact:
jmacIntyre [at] communitylivingontario [dot] ca (Council of Community Living Ontario)
Attention: Joel MacIntyre
240 Duncan Mill Road, Suite 403
Toronto, Ontario M3B 3S6